Monday, December 12, 2011

The Astronotus ocellatus (Oscar)

The Astronotus ocellatus is species from the Cichlid family, it is known by many names which include, Oscar, Tiger Oscar, velvet Cichlid and Marble Cichlid.  The Oscar originates from South America where it is popular in various local fish markets.  The Oscar can be found in other countries such as the United States, China and Australia.  This fish makes an excellent aquarium pet though I don't own one I have caught many at the canal near my home.  They don't really grow too big but they are fun to catch. I personally catch them with Daiwa BG30 spooled with 12 LB line, 6'6" Shakespeare Ugly Stick Tiger Lite rod, 12 size hook and at the end of the hook a piece of bread.  If you're lucky enough you might catch an Oscar with some cool patterns and colors on their bodies.  Most of the Oscars I catch are brown but I have caught an Oscar that was bright orange.  I'll post some pictures of the Oscars I have caught.







No comments:

Post a Comment